73 Mustang 351 Cleveland Rebuild – Removal Part 5

This is the last post related to prepping the 351 Cleveland in #ProjectSportRoof for removal.

Originally, I had planned to lift the engine out with the carb still attached.  However, after the first test fit to see how the Duralast leveler  (I’ve never used one before – last engine I pulled out we used straps on the 318) would be attached, it was clear that the carb had to come off.  I thought I’d just be able to attach the Duralast the front part of the engine but unless I added more chain it just wasn’t going to bolt up.

Moving the leveler back a bit to the center if the engine, allowed it to be pull it out with just enough clearance, keeping mind the space limitations between the car bumper and the concrete rise at the garage entrance.

Here’s where you might be a bit disappointed.

I had made arrangements with my neighbor Dan (Dan did the welding on the floor panels for me) for a Friday he had off to pull the engine.  I was going to “work” from home that day and we’d carry out the task in the morning – it’s pretty hot here in Southern Arizona this time of year.  Well, I had an issue at work and I had to run in for what I hoped would be only a few minutes – it took until noon.

By then, it was over 100 degrees and when I pulled into my driveway Dan was outside working on one of his projects.  After apologizing  I changed in to some grubby clothes real quick and we got to work.  By then it was about 106 degrees out and of course we are doing this outside.  We should have been done by  time we actually started and Dan’s adorable twins we hoping to make it the pool before their Dad had to head off to work for the evening.

I mention this all because I’m setting up you for the disappointment, (there is nothing more exciting than getting the engine out – well maybe putting a new one in, it’s a milestone worth capturing on video).  Given the above circumstances, I felt it very unfair to ask Dan and the twins to hang out while I stopped to talk you all and then perform a task and then record.  So I have no shots or video of pulling the engine out.

I can tell you that the torque converter gave us a bit of a problem and here’s one of the reason:


The nuts holding the torque convert on were pretty well-rounded. They been off before.

As soon we had the engine out and got the hoist over the concrete rise between the drive way and the garage floor, I thanked Dan and the twins (they were standing in the garage in full swimming attire – flippers include) for waiting for me.   Again a huge thanks to Dan the Neighbor!!!!  And yes the twins go to the pool!!!

Now I’ll start the tear down and see what’s going on with the 351C.

Thanks for reading.



Average Guy’s Car Restorations, Mods, and Racing

http://wp.me/p2YxYx-4V. Tagged: projectsportsroof … We are moving right along on #ProjectSportsRoof,with the 351 Cleveland rebuilt. Still getting it ready to be …
73 Mustang 351 Cleveland Rebuild – Removal Part 3

6 days ago We are moving right along on #ProjectSportsRoof,with the 351 Cleveland rebuilt. Still getting it ready to be pulled from the engine bay In this …
restorable classic cars | Tumblr

Welcome back to #ProjectSportsRoof. I’m getting ready to pull the 351C from between the fenders of the 1973 Mustang SportsRoof for a complete rebuild.
Tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Let me hear from you!!! Drop a note!!